223 Squadron History
On 30 November 1942 the first Air Cadet Squadron in Vernon was formed up as the "Vernon High School Squadron,” and cadets trained at the Old Fulton High School. During WW2 the RCAF undertook operations, and Vernon Rotary Club was the Squadron Sponsor. The Squadron moved to Building No 36 of the Vernon Army Camp, remaining there until 1955. Several other buildings were used until 1977 when Building [Hut] E 8 was established as home until the building was demolished September 2002. The Squadron then took up residence at the Vernon airport until January 2007 when it moved to its current home in the Vernon Armoury.
Female Cadets joined the Squadron in 1953 and have proved themselves capable and excellent Cadets. At present Female Cadets form just over 45% of squadron strength. Other changes over the years include the uniform colours from blue to green and back to today's blue. The squadron's name was adopted from the 223 Red Lion Squadron, a Regular Force Squadron that was formed 01 April 1918 and remained active worldwide until disbanding 23 August 1963 in Folkingham. At the 35th Anniversary Dinner in 1977 the Squadron Banner was presented as well as the Red Lion Crest, and the Squadron Motto "Excel Through Knowledge" was adopted.
Many Citizenship Tours have been conducted annually typically in the Spring, including CFB Comox, CFB Cold Lake, AFB Fairchild, CFB Moose Jaw, RCMP Training Depot in Regina, Esquimalt Naval Base, CFB Edmonton,Cadet Station Aldergrove, Albert Head on Vancouver Island, an exchange to Ottawa and a trip to Calgary with 222 Squadron in Salmon Arm.